We are searching for a choral director for our skilled 30-40 member community chorale, now in our 37th year. We seek a Musical Director with love of teaching people, enthusiasm, humor, broad knowledge of choral repertoire, and good organizational skills. We favor an eclectic, mixed music repertoire (early, classical, romantic, contemporary, sacred, secular, spirituals, etc.) as well as a mixture of level-of-difficulty from moderate to challenging, with emphasis on quality. In our concerts, we stress variety and enjoy collaborating with other groups and including instrumentals and/or other noted soloists.
A Masters Degree in Choral Directing is preferred. Knowledge of the local music community is a plus.
Our key criteria are:
- Teaching Skills
- Conducting Ability and Musicianship (Ear, Interpretation, Blending)
- Knowledge of Vocal Technique - prefer a performer
- Love of People, Leadership ability
- Good Organizational Habits and Rehearsal Planning
- Personality/Sense of Humor/Enthusiasm
- Broad Knowledge of a variety of styles of Choral Music
- Ability and willingness to work with the Music Committee for music planning, selection and rehearsal progress
Other criteria are:
- High Musical Standards and Expectations
- Contacts in the Local Music Community
- Works Well with Accompanist
- Keyboard Skills
- Past Experience as a conductor
- Educates regarding the music, provides historical context, how to perform the piece
- Priority of TSC Activities
- Music is selected jointly between Music Director and Music Committee; Director has final decision.
- Non-auditioned chorus; solos are performed by skilled members (auditioned and selected by director) or hired soloists.
- We have two seasons (Aug-Nov, Jan-Apr/May), each with 1-2 concerts. We do not perform a Christmas concert.
- Rehearsals are Wednesday evenings in Madison, Connecticut.
- Concerts are usually held in local church venues with organ and/or piano, and often with additional instrumentals.
- Remuneration is approximately $1800-2000 per season (fall season and winter/spring season); $3600-4000 annual.
- Accompanist is also employed for rehearsals and concerts.
This opportunity begins summer 2019 to plan the fall season, with first rehearsal in late August. We usually hold a social dinner function in September. The fall concert is usually planned for mid-November. We will begin interviewing candidates mid March and expect to make our decision in early May. For further information, see the Chorale website at www.shorelinechorale.org.
Send statement of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail to:
The Shoreline Chorale
P.O. Box 57
Madison, CT 06443